Now that we are officially in the calendar year of the presidential election, it is time to discuss President Trump. There are a large group of people who literally detest him. To these people there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that Trump could do to redeem himself. Because they lack the curiosity to understand why we would possibly support the man, it is time to provide them a hint as to why we like him so.
These points were collected from a diverse group of people. The points are in no particular order except the best is saved for last:
1. He has a great family. His family loves him and his kids are real people who support what he is doing. Their spouses are fully on board in a big way. As Vice-President Pence said, you cannot fake kids. I have seen hundreds of surrogate speakers over the years and never seen a better one than Donald Jr.
2. He is funny. He is seriously funny. Entertaining. He is always making hilarious comments. When we saw him at a private event – no press, no teleprompter — he was as good as any stand-up we ever saw. He did 40 minutes and we were doubled over in laughter.
3. He is a proud American. He puts America first. Every president supports America in their own way, but this guy really fights for America. You will never see any apology tours here.
4. He says what he is thinking. He doesn’t speak in riddles. He is authentic. He speaks directly to us, never mincing his words. You know what he is saying. You don’t need an interpreter. You don’t have to listen for five minutes and then wonder what you just heard.
5. He is upending the Washington establishment. He defies the elitist class. He does not just do things the way they have been done because that is what we have done in the past.
6. He is a disruptor. He is totally unconventional in his politics. He is a Republican who will actively go after the Black and Hispanic vote. The opposition never knows where he is heading next. Foreign friends and foes have expected America to react in a certain way even if it was against our self-interest. He has said we don’t do that anymore.
7. The employees of the government have come to believe they are the hub of the wheel. Trump truly believes the people of this country are the hub and the government is here to serve us. No president since Reagan has displayed this belief so firmly.
8. Despite facing unprecedented distractions through the Mueller investigation and the impeachment process, Trump has been an amazingly productive president. He has a laundry list of accomplishments that most presidents don’t achieve in eight years.
9. His level of energy is phenomenal. He is like a 20-year-old. As his doctor said – genetics.
10. He tries to do what he says he is going to do. He wakes up every morning impervious to the noise and does his job. That is because everything he said he wanted to do was because he actually believed in them. None of it was political grandstanding.
11. He is the first president who has stood up to Democrats who categorize Republicans and throws it back at them. While most Republicans cower when Dems use their wholesale terminology calling Republicans racist, sexist, homophobic, etc., Trump stands his ground and fights. The Dems don’t know how to respond. Different from other Republicans who just take it.
12. My personal favorite – Trump drives them crazy. They go absolutely berserk over everything he says and does. The Democrats’ presidential candidates are falling over each other trying to show who hates Trump more. It is highly entertaining to see your political opposition acting like aggrieved children.
They make wild statements like he is the biggest threat to human rights in the last 50 years. When you ask them how he has threatened civil rights they have no answer. Or their answer is “if you don’t know, I am not going to waste my time explaining it to you.”
You have mature adults frothing over his actions and reaching a near state of hysteria.
They tell you how bad things are while they are sitting at a café having a meal in the middle of serenity. When you ask them to look around and explain how people are suffering, they have no explanation.
As I tweeted it would not take long for the Democrats to blame President Trump for the Iranians shooting down a Ukrainian flight. Pete Buttigieg tweeted “Innocent civilians are now dead because they were caught in the middle of an unnecessary and unwanted military tit for tat,” Only a person on the edge of derangement could make that statement. Then person after person followed in that derangement.
I have never seen a political leader in a democracy make his opposition act in such counterproductive manners. All you can do is sit and smile and try to understand what he does to them. Freud would have a field day with Trump Derangement Syndrome. It is Bush Derangement Syndrome on steroids.
Most of all and most importantly, we love the policies. We love the dismantling of the regulatory state. We love being back to free enterprise and ordinary Americans driving the bus. We love that the economy is booming not just for us, but for everyone. We love how he has created new trade agreements and forced China to stop taking advantage of us. We love how he is getting our NATO allies to step up to their commitments. We love highly-skilled federal judges who don’t make things up as they go along. We love that he is changing the formula on illegal immigrants. We love legal immigrants, but not ones who break our laws to be here. We love his support for Israel and Great Britain, our closest allies.
There is so much more which may have been left out here. Most importantly, he has earned our support through what he has done. To paraphrase Admiral David Farragut: “Damn the tweets, full speed ahead.”